Thursday, August 9, 2012

Thrifty Makeover With a Rocker Vibe

AFTER!
Love this print
Yesterday I was starting to run out of projects that I was excited about.  So, I took a quick trip to Goodwill and came back with inspiration.  I was drawn to it because of the print.  It had a neat rocker vibe that I was drawn to.  In addition,  the original shirt was laid out, centered, and matched very well.  See the side, back, and before views below.

I only knew I liked the print so I brought it home for $5.  The minute I put it on the form I knew what to do.  It pleated so well and took on a cool sculptural quality because it matched so evenly from side to side.

As a result, I was able to make a little peplum style that is very age appropriate for me at 53. When I tried it on, it gave me a cute shape not to mention the print and peplum hide a multitude of sins.

Make sure you scroll all the way down to see all of the views.  Especially the awful before YUK!

This blog also helped me with my photography skills.  I found out that keeping the flash off shows the details of the garments much better.

Stay tuned as very soon I think I will be brave enough to actually model my creations and show how I will accessorize them.  Really!

I would love to hear your comments...
Side
BACK
The awful BEFORE!

4 comments:

Ria said...

I love the print, it's awesome that you got it for such a great price. I should try this sometime. Great blog, you have a new follower :)

http://everythingonandofftherunway.blogspot.com/

XO,
Ria

Unknown said...

Thank you Ria,

Your nice tips have helped me to figure out how to get my blog in shape. You are awesome!

Thanks again!

Mary

The Renegade Seamstress said...

Great way to take in a too big shirt. I can totally see why you put this in your thrift store basket. The print is super cool. It would be fun to see you wearing it!
Happy sewing!
Beth

Unknown said...

Hi Beth,
Look in my archive under "Yes I Really Do Wear What I Make!" and you can see it on me. I get so excited to post that I typically can't wait for the photo shoot LOL! You will almost always see a model of a style in a later post.

Mary