Friday, March 29, 2013

Shrug+ Chiffon =Sweater Refashion #3


This refashion all started when my friend Shannon came to work in a beautiful pink sweater with a high low hem that had a surprise in the back, a beautiful coordinating chiffon print floral.  It started me thinking how I could refashion sweaters using chiffon.  Hmmm!

I had this basic black shrug sitting in my closet that I never wear anymore.  This was my most likely subject to try something…but what? 
                                                                         Before

Enter this chiffon nightmare and then came the idea!  Why not combine the two?  I knew it would work when I saw it.
Here is the result of the mix!  The tutorial follows right after.
                                                                            After

First I cut off the sleeves of the chiffon top making sure to leave enough to fold over and finish the insides.
Pin the front and back to the chiffon blouse.  Luckily, the lines of these 2 garments matched perfectly!
Sew the edges down, cut off the button,  sew up the buttonhole,  and I am almost done!

The last step is to baste and finish the inside sleeves to the seams of the sweater. 

I love the outcome! When I wore it to work and out on my errands for the day, I had so many compliments.  Refashioning is a passion and an addiction. I just love it!  I have not shopped in the mall since,  well, I can't remember the last time.

Over spring vacation I want to hit some thrift stores further away like Burbank and Huntington beach. I need more subjects for my fashion laboratory! FUN :)

Happy Easter and Happy Sewing and Refashioning!

Mary

2 comments:

Sally - Charity Shop Chic said...

This is looking great Mary, what an interesting idea! Well done!

Mary said...

Thanks so much for checking out my blog Sally! Glad you like it. I would love it if you would stay tuned for more. I have a lot of things in the works. Have a wonderful day :)

Mary