Monday, April 1, 2013

70's Style Tunic Refashion

                 I purchased this for a whopping $3.99 at "Goodwill."

     The tags were still on and it had never been worn!  Retail value $32.00



                                               BEFORE

                                             

This garment was a size large, :(  but it was from a junior manufacturer.  This means it was not meant to fit a 53 year old mother of two LOL!

      My solution?  Add some gussets on the sides.  That gave my curvy hips more room while giving the illusion that I am a little skinnier.  Love the magic of color blocking!

  I have paired it with my retro bell bottoms ($9.99 from "Old Navy") and a necklace I made myself.  (See below)  The purse is a long ago purchase.  I can't even remember the price or where I got it, but it is a denim friendly shade of blue and a basic barrel style.  The boots are the brown version of what I like to call my "faux stillettos."

                                        

AFTER


Check out the accessories and the tutorial below 

Necklace of my own design made from an old bracelet, chain, and a variety of of blue white and clear beads.

I adore these boots.  I am trying to find them again on line or in the stores.  They were a steal at $30 by "Nickels"

 

70's style Tunic Tutorial

 Cut the side seams open and let them fall naturally around my dress form so the top will skim (not vacuum seal) my body

Add a matching brown panel piece to the side.  Once I fit it to the size I wanted, I  cut another one for the other side.  This took a while to shape and fit.  Once I was finished,  I hand basted and checked the fit before sewing.  From there it was just a matter of hemming and seam finishing and I was done in about 2 hours total.

Hope you like this one!

As always, happy thrifting and refashioning!

Mary

 

 




3 comments:

Mandy Jean said...

I love this!!! I want to start refashioning but I never take the time. I really need to!! I love your ideas and how you see things. You are so creative!

Take Care,
Mandy Jean

Sally - Charity Shop Chic said...

I like it a lot, Mary! The solid colour panels are very slimming! Great idea!

Unknown said...

Hi ladies!

@ Mandy, thank you so much. I couldn't exist if I wasn't doing something creative!

@Sally, thank you for stopping in again. By the way, I went thrifting today and found a huge white dress shirt. I loved your idea so much I am going to do one myself. When I feature it I will be sure to mention your blog and give you credit.

Have a wonderful day ladies!

Mary