Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Lace Dress Refashion

                                                                 MY INSPIRATION

Hi Everyone!

I coveted this look for quite a while but could not even think of buying it new.  The lace tunic pictured was $238 retail.  Yikes!

Finally, the perfect dress appeared at "Goodwill." I had to pay $7.99 for it but I was sure I could make it work.  Remember, this is LA and even Goodwill is expensive!  I liked the fact that this lace had a stripe pattern.  I don't like lace to come off as "wedding" or look like a tablecloth or curtains.
                                                                          BEFORE
 AFTER!  I am trying to loosen up a bit with the modeling thing LOL!



I think I achieved the look.  Don't you?
THE LACE PATTERN
  1.     I started by cutting off the bodice and making a square panel and sleeves.  My plan was to make a boat neckline.  After studying the shape and the way the fabric fell over the form,
I quickly decided to get rid of the sleeves.   The new plan was to add lace edging to the armhole edges and the bottom hem.  I found the perfect lace at the bottom of my "Bag O Trims."  The lace I used was one that I bought back in 1990 to use refashioning my wedding dress.  (You'll see that post in May for my anniversary).


2.     I took the large rectangle and pinned shoulder seams and neck opening.  I basted these together by hand first, then carefully stitched them down.


3.      I carefully sliced both sides of the fabric for the armhole.





4.     The next step was to pin and hand baste the trim around the armholes.  I folded over the edge of the trim to encase the lace and automatically finish the inside edge.

5.  Once the lace was set I sewed it down outward toward the sleeve.

6.  The hem was easy.  I just topstitched the lace over the edge.  No turning edges here.



Hope you like this one.  I paired it with a tank underneath and my accessories are very similar to the picture.  I don't think I will wear this as a swimsuit cover.  the lace is much too delicate.

I love to hear your comments.  Let's dish!

Mary




4 comments:

Charity Shop Chic (Sally) said...

Very nice Mary! Looks much better than the original.

Unknown said...

Thanks Sally,

I thought the stripe pattern in the lace made it better too. Great minds think alike LOL! Happy Friday!

Mary

Helena A. said...

Hi Mary!
I recently discovered your Blog.
I have been following it and I must say I just LOVE this Refashion! UAU So gorgeous! I could wear that on my work!!! I'm going to do someting lookalike! Congratulations! Kisses from Portugal!

Unknown said...

Hi Helena,

So glad you found my little blog. I am thrilled that I inspired you. That is why I do this. I am having so much fun. Stay tuned. Many more projects to come:)

Mary