Saturday, February 16, 2013

My First Sweater Refashion!



Before

This sweater started out as a 1X beauty. It cost $4.99 at Goodwill and appeared to have never been worn. 



After!

 I took off the sleeves and cut a significant amount out of the body.  Then I crocheted it back together.  Finally, I crocheted lace around the bottom and the sleeves. Check out some close up images of the transformation below.

 

As I mentioned, I took off the sleeves first.  Then I pinned the side seams to fit.  After I took off the excess with the serger, I used a chain stitch to crochet the sides back together.  

I have bags of lace from my former days as a sweater designer (long time ago) and fashion designer for a number of children's manufacturers.  I was and still am a fabric and trim collector.  After all, I could use it all someday! LOL!  This choice was a perfect fit.  

This sweater goes well with leggings and jeans.  Yesterday I wore it with leggings as you see here.  For the outside, I wore it with a jean jacket and a black and white scarf.  


Well, onto my next project coming up soon!


Happy Sewing...Mary

 


 

 

 


 

 

 

 






8 comments:

Mandy Jean said...

o my goodness!!!! I love this!!!! You did such a great job!

Take Care,
Mandy Jean
www.mandyjeanchic.com

Unknown said...

Thanks Mandy Jean!

Unknown said...

Wow amazing, and of course it looks much better now!

Unknown said...

Thanks Berty! I had fun making it. Wasn't sure for a while if it would work but I am happy with the results.

Christine Hopkins said...

I am envious of your sewing skills. Love your blog!

xx
Christine
www.couturebay.com

Unknown said...

Thanks Christine!

So glad you are enjoying it. Love the info from yours as well:)

Mary

The Renegade Seamstress said...

Hi Mary,
Really nice refashion! You have been busy! I love how you added the lace, made it so much more interesting. Simply Lovely!
Beth
aka
The Renegade Seamstress :)

Unknown said...

Thanks Beth! I learned so much from this one that I did another sweater refashion the following week. I am going to try to get that one up this weekend. My husband says I have an addiction to refashion and it is true. I tell him "At least it is not fattening or bad for you. Besides it is the cheapest form of retail therapy!" LOL!