Monday, February 4, 2013

Thrift Shop Refashion of Mens Dress Shirt


Hi Everyone!

                                    This is the After!  
 



Here is the Before:

This project turned out great, but it wasn’t an easy battle.  I get very picky about fit and getting the darts and pleats in all the right places took me a lot of time.

Step 1:  Cut off the sleeves

Step 2:  Take in the side seams and pin the new darts and pleats in the front and back


Step 3:  Fill in the armhole gap with a gusset and redraw the armhole
 
Step 4:  Cut a new sleeve using an existing pattern out of the old sleeve
 
Step 5:  Set and sew  the sleeves

Step 6:  Final fittings on the body and permanently sew the changes.

Step 7:  Press!  Now it is ready to wear. 

I paired it with a pair of leggings and my cap toe, ballet flats.  Proof positive that a "fifty something" can wear leggings.  My rule is the top must cover the bum and be long enough to cover the widest part of your legs.  In addition, this top can be styled in numerous ways.  I can see it with skinny jeans and black pumps.  It would also be cute with capris and sandals for summer.

What do you think?

Happy sewing...Mary



No comments: